Thursday, January 21, 2010

ATC set

I realized I hadn't posted these anywhere last year so I thought I'd share them here. They are for a Jane Austen Theme swap I did with some friends. I used pages torn from an old Jane book that my mother-in-law was going to toss. She had worn through her second full volume of Jane Austen because she loves her so much! Now she is on her third.

I put a thin layer of gesso over the page and then stamped and colored the image. (stamp from Great Impressions) I kept this one simple like so much that I do lately and I put it on some pretty patterned paper from Daisy D's. The corners were rounded, inked and I stamped a simple sentiment from Stampin' Up with a tiny gel heart sticker to dot the "i".

Some notes about the coloring: I had issues using my Copics on top of the gesso. It will come off onto your marker so it is wise to test your process first if you try this. In the end, I only used the Copics for the skintone and used my stamp pad and a blender pen to watercolor the rest. I had tried two different inks to stamp the lady and was having trouble either with the color running or with it bleeding into the Copic color. I think the brown ink for stamping I tried was my Adirandock and SU Basic Brown (my favorite brown color and the one I use for almost any non-Copic technique.)

All in all this was an unsatisfactory experiment, but I liked the final results anyways. I never found a happy medium but it all worked out OK since it was a small area to color and I didn't mind the softening effect from the image blending.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Keep on posting such themes. I love to read blogs like this. By the way add some pics :)

InkyFingers said...

Beautiful ATC's. Love the soft colors.

hollygtn said...

This is absolutely beautiful! Good to know on the Gesso and Copics! Thanks for visiting my blog and for your kind words!

Anne said...

Hi, Lianne! Wonderful, beautiful ATCs. And you learned about your materials, too. That's never a bad thing! Hope you have a terrific weekend! :-)

Sue McGettigan said...

I love these Lianne, I thought the soft, gentle colors were perfect for Jane Austen, and the stamping on the book pages was a fabulous touch!

Jill said...

Beautiful set! Love the distressing and soft colors!