Tuesday, February 05, 2008

The answer to where...

Well, I know you've been on pins and needles wondering where we're going for our first vacation in three years! I know I have been too. I'll tell you, but it's not finalized yet, so I hope I don't "jinx" it! Are you wondering where in Europe we are going so we can see the remains of that lovely 17th century cathedral? Well, guess again! That cathedral is in China—can you believe it? Well, it's in Macau, to be precise. Macau was a Portugese colony much like Hong Kong belonged to the British for many years. It has reverted back to China, but there is a definite European feel from all I have seen. I know next to nothing about Macau, but it looks fabulous—a wonderful blending of East-Meets-West. Exotic and old-world rolled into one.

The extra exciting part of this destination; to me at least; is that is is just 40 miles west of Hong Kong. Ah, beautiful Hong Kong, home of "Pool-on-the-roof". Yes, whenever times would get tough over the last years, Matt would turn to me and ask where I wanted to stay. Many times my answer was "Pool on the roof!" You see, hotels are reasonable in Hong Kong, and you can get a wonderful skyscraper place with a beautiful pool overlooking Victoria Harbor! You can click the photo to see the hotel.

Doesn't this look like an exciting trip!? I will keep you posted if we get to go--we are going to discuss it with Matt's family in more detail this weekend. The whole reason we will be able to go is if we go with Matt's Dad to visit a professor friend of his. We will use our frequent flyer miles for the plane and then we will know someone in Macau so our trip will be affordable--yahoo! Cross your fingers for me!

4 comments:

colleeeen said...

ok, you &^%$#@-ing suck. seriously, i am peeing green i'm so jealous. i hate you and can't wait for your trip report and pictures so that i can hate you even more. if that were possible.

my cousin & his family are considering moving to China. if they do, i am *so* going to be flopping at their house for a while.

Dawn said...

you go girl...woo hoo. I know you will have a blast. Make sure you get news papers for altered art etc. When My inlaws went the forgot it....I know that they said things were very cheap and got a lot of neat things. have a blast. keep us up to date. can't wait to here about the trip..

Anastasia said...

Oh, I've lived in China for about a year. (Well I studied there)It's such a great country! You're lucky person to visit it! I've never been to Hong Kong and Mokao but I've heard a lot, they're even cooler then the rest of China! Good luck!

Sue McGettigan said...

My fingers are crossed so tight for you it almost hurts :) What a fun trip this would be!! I haven't been there for years, but I did love taking the Star Ferry across the harbor in HK, it's an amazing slice of life, I did it over and over :) I hope this trip happens for you, it would be so cool.