Wednesday, September 14, 2005

An American Classic

Here's a musing about a car. I took this photo at my cousin's wedding last year. It was a rainy day and his '55 Chevy looked so good against the grey sky and raindrops! The text below is actually journaling I wrote for a scrapbook page about the car. I'm still not happy with the page, so I'll share the journaling and the photo!



Oh, what feelings our cars evoke! A vehicle like this deserves to be babied; polished and loved until it becomes a part of the family. Matt B's fully-restored beauty reminds me of the blue and white '55 Chevy Bel Air that mom had when I was a kid. It was an old "clunker", but I have so many fond memories of it. I remember the time we drove to San Francisco and points north—just me & my mom together with all her clothes on hangers strung across the back seat! I remember childhood nights; falling asleep on the way home and pretending to stay asleep so I would have to be carried inside.

I was still so young when someone stole that perfect car and I cried and cried when we had to get another one. I knew things would never be the same again; the new car was a practical Japanese economy-mobile. My whole life seemed to change in an instant and it wasn't for many years that I could again appreciate the love of automobiles that we Americans seem to share. [note: I think mom's old car gave me a love for classics and now I'm lucky enough to work in a place where I see beautiful American classics like the one in the photo every day.]

5 comments:

suburban mom said...

oh that is an awesome photo! you should frame it.

afp763389 said...

love the legends...

makes me feel that my blood and breath is not wasted for paranoic ghetto caging security industry only

... :)

The Knotty Girl said...

I love that photo! Its wonderful!

amberdusk said...

Really nice pic! I would love to see that page when you are done. Best of luck getting it just right. I am rarely completely happy with my scrapbooks but I get a little anal too:)

amberdusk said...

Also- what's your cat's name? Mine is, "Chef Boyardee." I call him Chef Boy for short.